Sunday, January 30, 2011

MAGnificient Maggie's Birth Story- Part II

This is a continuation from a previous post. I do apologize as a mom of a baby in the NICU for a week and now at home with a 2 week old and a 21 month old, spare time to type is not something I have much of. So here I am working on Part II and who knows how long I have to type so let's jump in and see how far I get.

After the triage nurse and doctor confirmed I was only a "dimple" of a 1, the nurse suggested to me and to AJ and my sister that maybe if I got up and walked it might help things progress. So after puking a few more times, I climbed out of bed, sat in the chair and tried to get motivated to go for a walk. One would think walking when you are barely in labor or progressing wouldn't be that hard, but for whatever reason it was hard!

AJ and Christy convinced me to get moving and off we headed out the door of the triage room down the hall, right in front of the admitting desk. I felt lightheaded and horrible to say the least but my labor team was determined to get me to progress so they tried to convince me to keep going. I was hanging on to the railing in the hallway for dear life. I tried to convince them I was dizzy and going to pass out, but they were determined I was fine and keep pushing me a little further. Finally, I tried to kneel down on the floor because I was so lightheaded and they figured I meant business so they let me turn around and head back to the room. I think we had gone all of 20 feet! On the way back, I felt like I was going to puke again and really didn't want to in the middle of the hall, so I was holding it back with everything I had but gagging with each step. I would heave forward and hold it in all the while AJ would flinch back and gag slightly since he pukes when others are puking. My sister was quickly walking in front of us to get to the room and grab a barf bag. It was one of the more comedic moments in my head from that night.

I made it back to the room and onto the bed before puking which was a good thing, but that was the last time they convinced me to go walking. Later my sister told me she forgot how easily lightheaded I get and apologized for not believing me. Sometimes, I am a wimp and need some persuasion, but this was not one of those times!

So back in to bed I crawled and they decided to hook up a IV line and get some fluids in my body since I was puking so much and give me some anti nausea medicine that would also make me drowsy and help with the pain a little. So after three tries and a ER nurse, I was hooked up and getting fluids and some meds. I was feeling drowsy and would fall asleep after each contraction but would wake up with each one as they were painful. At this point I was starting to have back labor and that to me is the absolute worst. And all the while I just keep thinking, I am barely a 1, how am I ever going to make it to a 10??

Another side note, I have lost all track of times and so I really don't know times well. So who knows how long or short things and events were? All I do know is that I went to the hospital around 3am on Sunday morning and had Maggie at 11:10pm that night. I did labor at home from 8pm-3am with very consistent contractions so we will call Maggie's labor about 27 hours. Porter was a 36 hour labor so anything less was a win-win in my book. Um, looking back I am not sure I would agree with that now.

Well, Maggie is awake and ready to be fed and then off to bed. At this rate, this may be a 12 part series!! I will keep posting parts as I have time. My sister wrote most of the major details in her post a little while back, but I still want to get my memories and point of view down for all to read.

Thanks for keeping up with us and for all your thoughts, encouragement and prayers! We are so blessed by all who have prayed for us and supported us through this and continue too. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment